Saturday, February 22, 2014

Life In Dimasalang Street Baclaran #OFW16


In my mind, being a father was the greatest gift from God, a love that you can extend your innermost feeling to your son or daughter and to your loving wife. It’s not really a responsibility but an obligation to care, love and provide them for their future. Nevertheless, as a father, you conformed to your maturity, determination, knowledge and your whole personality to embrace your son or daughter, or children into the right path of living. If you’re lacking the sense of discipline to sacrifice for them, then, and only then, you have no right to be called a father.

I worked so hard to earn more than what I received from my employer; controlled my vices, learned new things for my trade and even learned new ways to interact with people. Ayah’s pregnancy brought a new life for me, to be a good father. We totally forget my friend, Edward Ramirez in Bacolod City, even Danielle Gustilo, my family, and even the wrath of Governor Gustilo. Ayah’s family too, she never asked me about them. Our past was buried underneath our hearts together, never to be opened; just our new life was the center of it all. We bade goodbye to Mike and Lina, hoping that our lives would change for the betterment of our new family. We transferred in Baclaran, part of Paranaque City, Metro Manila where my new job was situated, along Roxas Boulevard. I transferred to another line of business, but this time, it was an international fast food chain of restaurant. I started as a Management Trainee, trained so well by experts and above all, excelled in so many ways about managing the food business and the people.

I was determined to be promoted by my performance, educational status, and by making friends with the management people. Then, easy as the wind blows I am in for the managerial responsibility. We were very glad with my job accomplishments. Our hopes regained its course knowing where to land, as long as we were together, loving together and living together.

I was on duty when Ayah’s friend, Maria, telephoned me that she’s having pain. I hurriedly posted a note to my logbook in case some important calls for me, told my assistant manager about the emergency and assigned him to be in-charge of the restaurant. I hailed a taxi cab going to Dimasalang Street, Baclaran at the back of Redemptorist Church. Ayah and Maria were ready for the baby stuff in the bag. When I arrived, they hastily moved outside the house where I helped Ayah to the taxi cab back seat. Maria’s at the front seat. I instructed the driver to speed-up at once going to the Hospital ng Maynila. My fear increased a hundred folds when Ayah felt the pain. Her crumpled face cannot be explained why, who, what or how? I didn’t know what to do, I just told her to calm down and pray. The taxi cab driver speedily drove to Roxas Boulevard road, not minding the traffic lights and the policemen.

“Marc, Marc, the baby’s coming out...it’s coming out...now...Marc, get the hand towel...quick...inside the bag...quick Marc…!!!” Ayah commanded me.

I opened the bag, got the towel, but some of the baby’s clothing were scattered because of my nervousness. Ayah’s edged a little at the back seat, and told me to put the hand towel on both hands in front of her. Instantly, the baby’s on my hands...that I panicked; shouted at the driver to full speed. Ayah instructed me, to invert the baby, holding both feet and slightly tapped the body to make it cry. I did it! The slimy feeling and the sight of the uncut umbilical cord made me squirmed!

“Marc, hold that way, careful not to slip in your hands,” Ayah instructed me. My level of excitement and fear doubled a thousand times that I shouted again to the driver to full speed, or to fly...if possible. When we arrived at the hospital, a doctor and two nurses came to the taxi cab; checked the baby, cut the umbilical cord and brought inside. Ayah gave me a present that I cannot forget, a baby girl. The joy of having a baby erased all the hardship that I have gone through. I realized that I have my own family now. I am a father, now.

“Are you happy love?” Ayah asked me while still in the hospital bed.

“Very! I have a beautiful little angel! What’s her name love?”

“A beautiful name for a beautiful dreamer...like you, Anne Rose Fernando?”

“Yes…..yes…yes...."



Life in Dimasalang Street, Baclaran, were full of gladness and joy. We stayed there for three years and each year Ayah Isabel gave birth. My family was growing bigger with two boys and a girl. I prayed that I could sustain them for their growing years. I kept on working hard for my job, treading the right path of living. I had quite higher pay than any ordinary staff, that I was able to provide my family well enough, not enough for me, but not enough for us.

I did not have much time to find a job that fits with my educational qualification as a Chemistry graduate. I was rearing for this management stuff job, than cultivating my Chemistry knowledge. Ayah and I were occupied with our three children. They were the motivational force that entwined inside my heart...our hearts.

We’re living at the back of the Redemptorist Church wherein we found peace with our innermost souls when troubled came. We prayed together inside this church; the church that gave much power to hurdled the gloomy moments of our lives. We were still finding means to move forward. I talked to Ayah Isabel about working abroad. I persuaded her once and she agreed. We blenched our ambitions for a fresh brio, hoping that working in a faraway place could give us the life we were aspiring for our children. I couldn’t endure seeing them brooked the inadequate way of living, while they’re growing older.

Every time I faced in the mirror, the scar in my forehead reminded me of my past and Danielle Gustilo. “Where is she? I asked myself. Still...I am chasing my dreams.

I called up Edward at the Riviera Café & Restaurant in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental.

“Hello, hello, long distance call for Edward Ramirez.”

“Yes, can I help you?” answered the voice from the other end.

“Want to talk… to Edward Ramirez please.”

“Moment please, thank you.” said the voice over the phone.

“Edward Ramirez?” I asked with excitement. “Yes, who’s this?” Edward answered.

“It’s me friend, Marco Fernando from Manila. How are you now? I missed you Edward!”

“I’m fine Marco, how’s life with Ayah? It’s been almost five years now, but you didn’t call me, or write a letter?”

“Sorry my friend, it’s a long story...by the way my friend, could you help me with my Transcript of Records and Diploma? Just one copies each from San Agustin College. Approach the information people in the controller’s office and ask. I’ll give you my address now and send money to you through the courier. Friend, please, I need those documents...I’ll tell you the whole story when we meet someday....”

“Okay Marco, give me your the address.”

“Edward, my address: Number 3477 Dimasalang Street, Baclaran, Paranaque, Metro Manila, Philippines.

“Marc, I got it. Friend, please remember this; I love you and your family, also, I want my two sons to have a bright future.”

“My friend, you’re the best ever! How are your two sons? You remarry someone special?”

“I’m still single and my two sons are schooling now.”

“Best friend, any news from Ayah’s family? The Gustilo family? He’s still the Governor, I read in the newspaper.”

“Marc, you know what happened to Ayah’s family; only Bryan's alive. He’s here in Bacolod City, got his own family now.”

“You know his residence or contact number?”

“Yes...and Joel Arevalo too, he’s planning to work in the Middle East.”

“Me too, that’s why I need those documents.”

“Ahhhh, I see. Okay, then, I’ll send it to you.”

“Okay then, Bye my friend!”

“Bye, my best friend.”

It’s my day-off; I had more time to searched and applied for a job abroad. I went to Makati area for my next adventure, applying as an Overseas Filipino Worker.

TO BE CONTINUED###


ABOUT THE AUTHOR: A freelance writer who meticulously structured and maintained blogs just for you:A LIFE SO FAR AWAYand my other business blog:SHOPPING eMALL Thank you for your valuable time. Follow my business & writings and you'll find what life's meant to be.






Share This

17 comments:

  1. Notice from the Author: Just click the + sign at the topmost portion of this page, and your comment link will appear here. Comments in the past gave me an inspiration to go on posting for the continuation of the Modern Romance Story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to Marco on his plan to work as an OFW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bittersweet story! Pwede na pang MMK! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's better to go online for job hunting nowadays rather than to spend time and go through each doors in Makati to know if there are job vacancies in the companies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful! Is being an OFW another chapter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Story. We lived in Baclaran (Bagong-Ilog) for 2 years and used to have my Mother of Perpetual Help novena in Redemptorist so I can perfectly imagine the scene while reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a very hard working, loving tatay and husband. Your family is so bless to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and Ayah had been into a lot of life events, I am happy that you have your 3 children, angels to keep you on the right track :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, being a parent is a priceless gift from God. Touching story! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So now I understand that this is indeed about being an OFW :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's also nice that there's a baby introduced in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The life of Marc is still under the mercy of his diligence and adventuresome. I know I will be reading more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if Marco and Ayah would get to meet their family members in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story. Keeps the reader glued and anticipates for more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow what a transcriptof life ?what 's in between Marc and Danielle ? It was like reading a script from a telenovela

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so sad to know that people need to apply for work abroad to ensure the future of the family. Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. congratulation... that's something to tell your child when she grows up... i know she'll be proud of you... or these are just fictional stories. Yahweh bless

    ReplyDelete

Email Address fernando_lachica@msn.com

Send message for any suggestion, recommendation, and other concern about this site.



Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Copyright@ Fernando Lachica 2014 OFW: The Game of Life