Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Marriage #OFW11



The family Gonzales was very prepared for the marriage of their one and only female member; from the food, utensils, equipment, invitation cards, bridal gown and groom’s suit; every detail were hurriedly planned and executed with haste. Every resident knew this wedding ceremony of Ayah Isabel; a prominent wedding of the decade!

The festive mood in the Gonzales resident was really showing through the house decorations; the apple green colored curtains, the silky white bed covers and people were busy doing their part to this occasion. The covered-makeshift-bamboo-tents for wedding reception were constructed for this purpose. Every facets of the wedding ceremony were all set; the guests, the servants, the Gonzales family, the bride and me.

The chapel was decorated with apple green and white motif; the fresh flowers were scattered all over the chapel floor, bunches of these were planted on the tall bases made of wood. The chapel pews were bounded by apple green and silky white ribbons with large amount of free-flowing cloth were strapped to cover the aisle. Even the altar was delicately decorated according to the colors of the ceremony.

I was with Ayah’s parents waiting at the chapel for the wedding ceremony. I stand in front of the altar with them. I saw the bridal’s car stopped in front of the chapel’s door. My excitement heightened; music was played while Ayah’s marching along the aisle. She marched slowly towards us. Her parents gave Ayah’s hands to mine. When I finally held her hands, I slightly squeezed it, just a signal that I am happy to be with her, “In sickness and in health, ‘till death do us part…This is it, I thought to myself.”

Since I was facing the chapel’s front door while holding Ayah’s hands, I saw a man, wearing a bull cap holding an armalite weapon aiming at us. I embraced Ayah tightly, dived together at the floor, while the man started to sprayed bullets like a wild boar. Panic was everywhere; our bodies were covered with blood. I spotted a small door at the back of the altar, holding tightly Ayah’s left arm, we crawled hastily and ran as fast as we could, heading to the open field straight to the coconut plantation near the beach. I looked around, checked the situation, and we both hid under the bushes at the base of the coconut tree catching our breaths.



“Are you alright?” I asked Ayah in a low voice.

“Yes..yes,” while nodding her head, crying, with panic in her eyes. I hugged her tightly, comforting miserably to calm down. For a few minutes, we moved on for another place to hide.

“Ayah, we have to face this nightmare without any hesitation on our part. Our marriage is not yet solemnize properly, but it’s alright for me. The thing is, we are one in our hearts and minds… We don’t know who’s responsible for this killing. I know what you feel about your parents…sorry….” Ayah started to cry again. Sorrow engulfed me with fear that wrecked my inner sanctum to cry too. We stayed for a while in one place. I decided to be realistic…to accept our fate…to go on whatever lies ahead.

My meeting with the governor was not in my mind anymore, maybe as of now; marrying Danielle, the large sum of money, and other dreams that I had in life. I had to face the world now together with Ayah, she’s my responsibility now, I had an obligation to my wife. “Ayah, we don’t know what actually happen to your family, but we saw your parents were hit by the bullets, slumped on our sides…I’m sorry…and we don’t know the situation there. I promise, I’ll do my best to know what news therein. But in the meantime, we have to leave them…we have to go on…with our lives…as husband and wife. We have to move on to Bacolod City to get help with Edward. Besides, we don’t know who’s behind, all of these messes. Maybe, we’re the target? Or your brother Bryan? Or…Ayah, do you know this place?”




“No Marc, I think we’re heading north going to the next barrio named Isio, a place quite big in inhabitants compare to Tuyom. This place is a remote area. We have to go in the main road for any vehicle we can ask for a ride going to Isio. That’s the way life here in our barrio.”

“Okay then, we have to remove all these stuff…I mean our bloody outfit.” I started to take off my suit, hid under the bushes. Ayah too, took off her wedding gown, fingered the splattered blood and hid the same.

“Marco, we have to wash our bodies in the sea…”

“Okay, stay there for a while; I’ll check the surrounding first.” I headed to move slowly at first, inspect the nearby place if it was safe for us. The scorching sun bit my flesh like a scorpion’s sting. I went back to where Ayah’s waiting, told her to move fast, and held her left hand towards the rocky side of the beach. We took off our clothes totally, our naked bodies shines in the light of the sun like gems. We washed our clothes and underwear, tightly squeezed it, and spread open in the boulder. We remained in the water for a few minutes, waited for our clothes to dry and dressed up. Ayah and I looked for any resident along the shore or anybody who can help us.

“Ayah, you’re wearing heels? We’re going to walk for a few kilometers away…look at you?”

“Yes, my feet hurt while running in the fields….”

“Give it to me.” She handed her heels, I looked for a stone and broke the heels making it comfortable for her. “See! It’s flat now…fit for you to walk comfortably!”



We walked in the dense coconut plantation along the beach, looking for the main road, continued walking with a hope that somebody could help us, could point the right way. Thirst besets us, hungry too, hungrier while aiming for positive results. I thanked God that my wallet was with me, at the back pocket of my pants. We reached the main road, slumped on the rock beside the dusty bushes, clasping our hands together. An hour later, a truck loaded of sugar cane appeared on our view approaching us. I extend my hand with joy, at the same time gave signs to the driver to stop.

“Good afternoon Mister, we need your help….we’re going to…??” I looked at Ayah because I forgot the name of the place.

“Barrio Isio…but where are you heading for?.... Dacongcogon Sugar Central?” Ayah asked the driver.

“Yes, in Dacongcogon…I can drop you in the town of Kabankalan, if you have money for the crude oil.”

“Yes, yes my friend I’ll give you the money.” I said to the driver. “Here’s the three hundred pesos, take it.”


We traveled around three kilometers without saying any word from each other. Even the driver said nothing or asked anything about us. My mind kept on wandering about our situation right now, about Ayah’s family, about the gunman and about our future. Now that I decided to be with Ayah; I had an obligation and responsibility for her well-being. Tomorrow's the day I had to meet Governor Gustilo. Should I be in a hurry for that meeting? And, get the money and run?

“Boss, we’re here at the junction of Kabankalan road…I’ll stop it here for diesel refilling at the gas station nearby,” the driver said to me.

“Okay, we’ll find a restaurant to eat. Come with us?

“Thank you Boss, it’s getting dark, driving during the night is very dangerous in Dacongcogon.”

“Okay then, take this hundred pesos for your food instead. Come on....” The driver took the money and drove away.


TO BE CONTINUED###


ABOUT THE AUTHOR: A freelance writer who meticulously structured and maintained blogs just for you:A LIFE SO FAR AWAYand my other business blog:SHOPPING eMALL Thank you for your valuable time. Follow my business & writings and you'll find what life's meant to be.
Share This

20 comments:

  1. Notice from the Author: Just click the + sign at the topmost portion of this page, and your comment link will appear here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a story. I am curious as to how it will end

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and interesting story, something i would like and consider reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, this is getting more and more interesting. I wish I have more time to read now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The place sounds like a very remote place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how the choices are already made in the story. I'm awaiting the next major twist in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an extravagant wedding, everything was well prepared. Nice story to read

    ReplyDelete
  8. During the 70s Dacongcogon's lace is too dangerous and I think is heavily infested with outlaws. By they way, I am just quite confuse. In reality, if the groom or the bride or even both of them are the target for liquidation, only miracle could save them. The armed man who aimed and fired them is no good gunslinger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The story becoming action packed. This would really be a nice movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this story... and it feels like I am in a cloud nine. Fabulous wedding...

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is one good story. a nice twist. but i wonder how the man with a bull cap was able to pass the security...mmmh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what a great story, it's quite bitin. Would like to hear the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here comes the interesting twists and turns of the story which makes it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its a nice to read.. I love this kinds of weddings classy and extravagant..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thrilled on how your story will end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This story is so tragic. There seems to be more intriguing parts ahead. I can't wait to read the continuation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This story is interesting, can't wait to see how it will end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice story. I'm excited to know the next part of this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This is another great story post from you :) I will wait for the continuation :)

    ReplyDelete

Email Address fernando_lachica@msn.com

Send message for any suggestion, recommendation, and other concern about this site.



Designed By Seo Blogger Templates Copyright@ Fernando Lachica 2014 OFW: The Game of Life